Tips for Halloween Trick-or-Treating
The McMechen Volunteer Fire Department is encouraging the public to be especially careful during Halloween. To help, the Fire Department offers the following tips:
- Slow down in residential areas.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly.
For children and teens:
- Travel only in familiar areas.
- Pin a piece of paper with a name, address and telephone number on younger children's clothes.
- Take treats home to be inspected before eating. (Be extra careful with fruit, inspecting the surface for punctures.)
- Never enter a home or apartment building without an adult.
- Remove tools, ladders, toys and other breakable items from your steps, lawn and porch.
- Keep jack-o'-lanterns with candles away from areas where a costume may brush against the flame.
- Look for costumes with flame-resistant labels.
- Use flashlights during trick-or-treat walks.